Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Seeking Some Opinions From My Readers

From the very beginning, this blog has focused on my 1/1200 Napoleonic sailing ships.  Clearly, given the blog title, that's not much of a surprise.  Now though, I'm thinking about starting to look at some of the other periods I game in.  These other periods don't bear any relation to my sailing ships, although one of them can have a naval component.

The blog subtitle does say "and other game things that attract my attention."  My question here then, is: Should I just put new pages entitled "Other Gaming Items: XXX" on this blog, or should I start another blog that focuses on these other periods, and link to it/them from here?

There are two sides to this idea:
YES:  It is my hobby blog, and I have other periods of miniatures that I play, so why not?

NO
:  The blog focuses on 1/1200 scale sailing ships, and that is clear from the title, URL and general subject matter.  Why muddy it by including other things that don't relate to its main focus?

I can kind of see both sides of the argument here, and so am seeking some input from the readers.  Would you like to see other genres start to make an appearance here, or would the blog be better if it stayed focused on sailing ships, with other periods on their own site(s) that are linked to each other?  I've added a poll to the side of the page so you don't even have to leave a comment.

6 comments:

  1. I voted yes! Almost every blog I visit posts on a variety of topics, and I do so on mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - variety is the spice of life Brian and that goes for our hobby too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once upon a time, I went the route of multiple, project-specific blogs. I think I have had seven total, with five running concurrently. I have reduced that down to 3, and one of those is stagnant.

    If I had to do it over again, I would have stayed with one blog. Just my opinion of course, and you know how opinions go...

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would vote Yes too. It is your blog and your hobby. Don't feel like you've painted yourself into a corner just because of the blog title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to respond to everyone in a group, instead of individually like I normally do. First of all, thanks for the comments, as they've really helped me focus my thinking.

    My original thought was to do separate blogs, but I'm starting to change my mind. Given how hard it is sometimes to keep one blog going, I don't think I want to try two. Also, I posted this on TMP and TWW where one of the readers had a good point. When working on one blog, it can look like you've abandoned the other one. So, my thought right now is to just go with separate pages on this blog. I'm still going to leave the poll up till its closing date, and of course I do welcome any other comments anyone wants to make.

    ReplyDelete