Monday, March 8, 2021

The Fruit and Flowers Anniversary

 My calendar informed me that March 8 was the anniversary of the blog.  I've now been doing this since 2017, so this is our 4th anniversary.  According to the anniversary sites I've looked at, the traditional gift in the US are flowers and fruit.  This is because they are symbols of renewal, and sticking together.  If you're in the UK, apparently the traditional gifts are linen and silk.  In lieu of sending me gifts, go out and buy something for yourself; I'm just generous that way. 😁 If you prefer more modern anniversary traditions, apparently the appropriate gift is an electrical appliance of some sort.  So maybe I'll buy an electric paint shaker this month. 

Gifting jokes aside, it has been an interesting four years.  In that time, I've made 73 posts (not counting this one, of course) that have 45,323 views and have generated 426 comments as of March 7.  That is an average of 1.5 posts, 8.8 comments and 944.2 views a month.  On average, I almost sound like a responsible blog owner.  Loyal readers will know that those average statistics mask a multitude of sins, though. 😬  

One thing that is interesting is the sailing ship count.  On 3/8/2017 there were 97 completed sailing ships in the collection.  As of 3/6/2021, there are 111 completed sailing ships.  In four years I've completed 14 ships, or one every 3.42 months.  Hmmmm.  OK, that number is not as interesting as I first thought it was going to be. 😞 Back then, there were 5 ships under construction. They were USS Pennsylvania, USS North Carolina, a Russian 50, a Russian 46 and a Spanish 74.  Currently, there are 6 ships under construction.  They are USS Pennsylvania, a Russian 46, a Spanish 74 (not the same one!), a French 74, USS Franklin, and a French 80.  Doesn't look like a lot of progress there either, at first. . . . 

Several of those under construction ships will be joining the fleet shortly, though.  Take a look at this picture of the workbench:

That's pretty well organized for my painting desk.

All six sailing ships are in this photo
(along with some other projects too).

The Canberra seen in the background is going to be converted to her Falklands troopship appearance for my Falklands air games that I mentioned in another post. (https://mymodelsailingships.blogspot.com/2020/05/love-in-time-of-coronavirus-part-2.html) She was in Bomb Alley for a couple of days while she offloaded troops, so had the potential to be a target.  It will also be a fun conversion, and one that isn't seen very often in the model ship world.

One good thing about these anniversary posts is that they make me go back through the Blogger log, and see which posts I started but never finished.  That's how I discovered that I have never taken any pictures of my unrated ships to put on the blog.  Expect those in the near future.

There has been one gift to myself that is useful, but I am still less than enthused about.  What is that, you ask?  Well, it's this:


Yep, an Optivisor.  Or the cheap Harbor Freight version of one, anyway.  My wife bought me a good one about 15 years ago or so, but I didn't need any such thing back then.  Wellllll, apparently I do now, and when I went looking for mine I couldn't find it.  So now I have this one.  Actually, it's not that bad. It has a fixed lens of 1.8X, and an inside fold-down lens that makes it 2.3X.  The loupe folds out of the way, and will increase magnification to either 3.7X or 4.8X when the inside lens is in place.  Of course, when using the loupe you have to get so close that it's impossible to work, but it might be useful sometime.  Best of all, it was only $4.99 at the local store.  Even if I weren't happy with it (and I am), it costs less than a set of sails from Langton.  It's definitely a reminder that anniversaries mark the passage of time though. 

In case you should go looking for them, there are no posts for the second and third anniversaries of the blog.  No good reason, other than I just didn't do them.  I promise to try and be better going forward.


4 comments:

  1. The sailing ships look ace and I look forward to the Canberra! Congratulations on your 4 years of blogging!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the Canberra myself. I particularly want to make the rusted, dirty version of the ship. That should be fun, compared to what I usually build.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on 4 years of blogging! As you say to celebrate, I’ll go ahead and buy myself something nice.
    I’ve been using an Optivisor for awhile now. My wife manages not to laugh out loud (too much) when she sees me in it. But it’s really helps me out with painting. I’m not as old as you, but things have started to get blurry up close for me. Using the visor and I can see the details of the miniatures. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but yourself something nice. Tell your wife I said you could; that should go a LONG ways towards, . . . well, something. Clearly, I can't promise you what that something is, though. 🙄

      So far, I've found that the Optivisor is really good at letting me see more detail when it comes to threading holes in the hull. I strongly suspect it's going to be one of those things where I wind up going, "Why didn't I start using this long before now?!"

      Delete