Thursday, December 26, 2019

Hello to you, Spanish Ladies

Obviously, the title for the last post was a takeoff on the "Day-oh!" lyric from Harry Belafonte's famous Banana Boat Song.  For this post title though, I've gone a lot farther back than the 1950's.

This post is particularly exciting to me, as it means I am coming close to finishing part of the Trafalgar Project.  Now that these two are built,  I only need to finish two Montañes class ships of the line for  the Spanish fleet to be completed.  After those are done, I will wrap up the French fleet (4 ships to build) and then the British (8 left to build).

Like some of my other recent builds, there's not a lot to say about these ships.  Good old 74 gun ships of the line, the backbones of almost every fleet in the Age of Sail.  One ship of the two is "at quarters," so is a bit more bristly than its companion.  What really sets the two ships apart are their paint jobs, and I'll talk about that after the photos.







Like I said, the two ships are basically identical.  The ship at quarters is at fighting sail, but other than that and the upper stern decoration, they are the same.  In fact, their catalog numbers are NS3 and NS4.  What I find interesting is how much different they look due to the paint job.  The ship with the single yellow stripe appears to be smaller than the other one, even though this isn't so.  Given the side-by-side photos of these two paint schemes, it's easy to see how someone on another ship several miles away, looking through a telescope or the naked eye, might mistake the ship on the right of the photo as being all black.  I tried to take a picture from 15 feet away (3 scale miles), but my current phone camera isn't up to the task, unfortunately.

The single-striper will stand in for the San Justo, as I think she was one of the ships mentioned as being "black" by some British observers.  I remember reading it somewhere, but can't find the source now.  There is, however, a model at the Greenwich museum that support the idea that she was all black.  It comes from a diorama of the battle that was originally built in the 1840's.  The diorama was disassembled in 1978 and all that is left are the model ships.  The models are not on display in the museum, but there are pictures of them on the museum website.  This is the San Justo:

You can find this photo online at: https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/539417.html
This was not a standard paint job for the models, as this photo of San Ildefonso shows:

This photo is located at: https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/539239.html
Pictures of the diorama taken before its disassembly are at: https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/68704.html .  Overall, I'm pretty confident that the paint scheme on my San Justo will pass inspection.

This is the last post for 2019.  When I post the finished Montañes ships we will be in a new decade!  In that post, I'll point out some interesting differences between those ships and these.  Those differences are a cause of some brow furrowing for me where Langton miniatures are concerned.  What is it, you ask?  Well, I will only drop you a hint by saying that Vol Williams already knows what I'm going to talk about. 🤔  Tune in next time!

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Norm. After doing so many 74's, I kind of feel like I'm just grinding along every now and then. It's good to hear that my standards haven't dropped due to all the grinding.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous ships, and way to end the year with a bang by doing two awesome ships. Your Trafalgar project is almost to the closer part of being nearly done. 😀
    Merry Christmas to you and your family my friend. Looking forward to your posts in the next decade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stew,
    Thanks, but the reason I did them together was that since they are so similar, a post for each would be padding things (and a lot of extra writing).

    ". . . almost to the closer part of being nearly done." Truer words were ne'er spoken, sir!😁 I really can't even says it's "the end of the beginning" until the next two ships are done.

    At the end of 2016 I had 6 Spanish ships of the line. Now, I have 13, and two more on the painting table. There are Spanish and British 74's in the French OOB, but I think I'll paint some "real French" ships before I start on either of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe I might, haha! These are really awesome models Brian. I love the San Justo paint scheme. And there were a number of paint "gimmicks" to fool the enemy about a ship's size. Langton's paint and rigging guide has historical examples that make a 74 look like a three decker, a three decker look like a 74, and a 74 look like a large frigate.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, Vol! Yeah, I suspect I dropped enough hints in this post for you to know almost exactly what I'm going to say in the next one.

      I do love the Langton rigging guide. I've tried all those painting tricks except making a 74 look like a three-decker. The thing is, those paint schemes seem to work, even on models. When you look at one of those ships at scale distances (I have a 10 feet long table, so 2 scale miles) they really do fool the eye, even when I know what ship it is. I will admit to being really surprised the first time I tried it!

      Delete
  5. 10 feet! Holy Cow! That would be awesome to have that much room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a good deal on a 5 x 10 foot cutting table when a fabric store went out of business a good time back. It even has under-table storage, although that's now all full.🙄 The biggest problem is that it's located in the (non air conditioned) garage. In a Texas summer, that translates out to no fun! In fact, the running gag among our group is that for 6 months out of the year, the only thing we can play at my house are either Vietnam or WWII Western Desert games.

      Delete
  6. Haha, but at least you have one and the space for it. I had a pool table I could use occasionally but we sold it to make room for a remodel in the basement. Both sides of the garage house vehicles through the winter. I am currently working on a 10 x 22 bonus room over the garage I want to move my hobby room to. I could fit a nice table there but I have to come up with something collapsible to fit through the pull down attic stair opening. What the hell, I'm retired now! I've got all the time in the world now, right? 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late posting and response, but we had a chance to take a quick four day cruise, so we did.

      A 10 x 22 room over the garage, huh? That would work really nice for a game room. You'd have room for a good big table, and storage space as well. Personally, I would LOVE to have a basement, but this part of the world is just not conducive to them. It's mostly mud here, and the water table sits at about 3 feet in some parts.

      I like the idea of a collapsible table. Maybe something like folding tables with the legs held to each other by Velcro straps? That would let you have the tables be movable without worrying too much about bumping them out of position. As to having all the time in the world after retirement, well, that has not exactly been my experience.😁 But hey, if you can make it work for you . . . .

      Delete
  7. Hey Brian, I just saw a post you made on TMP (still 86'd so I can't join in) about Langton's 28 gun schooner:
    "EDIT: Yes, definitely REN5 on the galley. Also, the "28 gun schooner" is probably the Meshuda. She was the flagship of Tripoli until 1803, when she was transferred/sent to Morocco. Mark Bevis' Tripoli OOB describes her as:
    18x9pdr (waist), 6x4pdr (quarterdeck), 2x bow guns, 2x stern guns, 246 crew. Yellow hull with white side streak, green stern, red muzzles. To Morocco in 1803."
    Back in 2015 I was trying to find any historical 28 gun schooner and couldn't. I contacted Rod to ask what he had in mind when he made it. He said there was no specific ship, it just filled a spot for a heavily armed schooner. I just happened to run across an excerpt from a book about the Barbary wars and learned about the Meshuda. Then researching it and her commander, found out about the Betsy. So I modeled my Langton 28 after Meshuda. I never ran across the color scheme you did though so it's not yellow and white
    https://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/2015/11/langton-11200-28-gun-schooner-meshuda.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've got to stop being so definite when I make comments about Langton miniatures. If there's one thing that building these Spanish ships has taught me, it's that the miniatures are representative at best.

      Meshuda is a good example of that. The website says it was, "a special commission for a Turkish fleet." That certainly sounds like Betsy/Meshuda. If you look at that description above though, it definitely is not. The miniature has no quarter deck or waist, but is flush-decked. Also, from what I've been able to find, the original Betsy was probably about 300 tons and had a crew of nine men. The miniature is a LOT bigger than that. However, I really don't think that anyone who plays in a game with that miniature is really going to complain about any discrepancies; in fact, I doubt they'll even know the difference.

      I do have to confess that my Meshuda is not painted like the description. I got it from a fellow who was getting out of the hobby. Someday I will either repaint that one, or just buy another one and paint it "properly." That project is way down the list though.

      Delete