Sunday, November 11, 2018

Best. Day. EVER! (In gaming terms, anyway. . . .) Part II

So after the Constitution versus Java fight, Mark decided he wanted to play this game again.  We took a break long enough for me to print some ship sheets, and then went back at each other again.

This time it was just a generic frigate fight.  I picked out two ships at random: A British 36 gun frigate (HMS Santa Margarita) with 12 pound main guns, and a French 38 gun frigate (Proserpinewith 18 pound main guns.  This is where things started getting interesting.  The random dice roll for crew/captain quality gave the French a regular crew, and the British a green crew.  So we have a more experienced French crew with heavier guns, but the British can reload and fire faster (2 phases to reload, opposed to 3 for the French).  So, can quicker firing but lighter guns make up for the differences in weight of metal and crew experience?

The random setup proved to be interesting as well.  By die roll, the British started in the middle of the table.  When setup was done, the French wound up behind them, with both ships starting at Easy Sail.  The weather was moderate, with the wind from the SE at force 4.  With everything ready, the starting situation looked like this:

An English frigate chased by a French one?  Hmmm.
With both ships at Easy Sail, we were both tearing along at 10 movement points each, which is anywhere from 4.5 to 8.8 knots, depending on how the ship is facing into the wind.  I quickly decided that being the chasee was not something I wanted to do.

"No Royal Navy captain is going to let himself be chased by a Frog!"
I started taking in sail, as I didn't want to fly by my opponent and have to claw my way back.  Mark, on the other hand, decided to stay at Easy Sail.  This helped me to decide on my tactics; I would shoot high in hopes of forcing more rigging damage onto him.  That should lead to a mast falling, and then the advantage would be mine.



As we continued to approach each other, I kept taking in sail while he kept pushing ahead.  He decided to turn away from the wind so as to give himself more maneuvering room, and to stay with me.


I got my first broadside off in the red phase of turn 2:


He, however, was able to use his extra speed and get in front of me for a broadside in the white phase:


 Fortunately, it wasn't quite a bow rake (ignore my gun smoke; we just forgot to take it off).  The end of the turn found us like this:


At this point, the maneuvers became quite confusing, with each of us trying to circle around the other.  Part of me wishes I had kept a track chart of the fight along with taking pictures.  I got off another broadside at the beginning of next turn, and caught the Frenchman on fire!


I think this is only the second time I've ever seen a ship catch fire.
I won initiative for the next phases, and made the Frenchman move first, as I wanted to see where this potential hazard would wind up.  It also allowed me to slip in behind him, and deliver an almost stern rake on the target.  Unfortunately, the angle just wasn't quite right for a rake.

Beginning of the phase.

"Pour it into them, boys!"

End of the phase.

I ended the turn by pulling away from the fireship again.  To Mark's great relief, he got the fire put out at the end of this phase. 


The next turn was more jockeying for position, as the Frenchman got in front of me and tried to pull away.



The chase went on for another turn while he tried to make repairs and get some maneuvering room.



After this, he decided to circle back and come towards me.




The maneuvering continued, and we managed to end the turn by getting the two ships fouled together.  I was unable to free us, so both sides prepared boarding parties, just in case.
Apparently I didn't take a picture of the red phase this turn, but nothing happened.



We spent an entire turn fouled together and drifting.  Then the French boarding party in the bow found an opportunity, and stormed aboard.

Apologies for the blurry picture; I was really nervous.
It was three factors of regular French marines versus 3 factors of green British sailors.  I had lost all my marines in the earlier broadsides, but much to my surprise the sailors took out one factor of marines.  He moved some sailors from the waist to his forecastle to reinforce for the next round.  We drifted for another three impulses.  The boarding action was inconclusive this time, but I managed to cut the two ships loose, and his boarding party retreated in the command phase.



I didn't take a picture of the ships in this phase, but it was just
more drifting.  Nothing particularly exciting.
At this point we were up to turn 10, and we rolled for weather changes.  While the weather didn't change, the wind did.  It veered from SE to due E.  This was not a good thing for either of us as you will see from the picture below:


Since we were both in irons, all we could do was drift backwards and turn until we were not facing into the wind.  Proserpine's marines were peppering Santa Margarita with fire this whole time.  Having no marines left, Santa Margarita couldn't respond in any way which was quite galling.  I think it was during this time that my 2nd Lieutenant and one of the Midshipmen were killed.



FINALLY, we can move again!
Once we could move again, it was time to start pounding each other. After the broadsides, Proserpine again turned into Santa Margarita as a prelude to another boarding attempt.



Although I avoided his collision attempt, it meant we were so close to each other that any movement would run the risk of fouling again.  Mark adjusted course slightly, and brought Proserpine alongside, and sure enough, we fouled again.


We exchanged broadsides, and each side readied boarding parties again.




Mark flung every Frenchman he could into his boarding parties, and now numbers began to tell. Santa Margarita had started the game with 8 crew boxes and 3 marine boxes.  Proserpine started the game with 12 crew boxes and 4 marine boxes.  By this point, I had only 5 crew boxes and no marines.  With the ships fouled side by side, he could try and board from fore, mid, and aft.  All I could hope for was that none of his groups had the opportunity to board; if they did, I wouldn't have the manpower to fend them off.  Clearly, this was going to be it!

Needless to say, he tried to board from all three sections.  The boarding attempt from the forward section was repulsed, and he lost a crew factor.  The boarding attempt from the waist was successful, and the fight was on.  Although he didn't cause any casualties to my crew, one factor was forced back (in this case, that means out of the waist section).  With that, my forces were outnumbered 3:1, which meant that they had to retreat.  The center of Santa Margarita was now in French hands.  The aft boarding party from Prosperine didn't find an opportunity to board.  The situation was now dire, as you can see:


I wasn't able to cut the two ships free from each other, so we would be bound together for another turn.  At this point, I struck my colors.  I might have passed a command check, but the lack of crew meant that I would not be able to hold off the French if there were any more boarding opportunities for them.  Even if I were to succeed in regaining control of the waist, it might mean there were not enough men left to man the guns and sail her.

In looking at the damage after the battle, it became clear that, between my fire and the damage from our foulings, Proserpine was so cut up aloft that she could not have chased me had I tried to disengage.  Take a look:


In contrast, Santa Margarita was nowhere near as damaged:


So, there you have it.  Two more British defeats; one completely expected and one that (maybe) could have been avoided.  One thing I learned from this:  It's easy to see why everyone went to 18 pound or heavier guns for their frigates.  The 12's I had were easy to handle, but just didn't hit hard enough in the final analysis.

If you read the earlier post, I said there were three games.  After these two, Mark brought out his Blood & Plunder pirate game and we played an engagement in that.  I managed to win that one.  Maybe I should give up my navy captain's license and become a Hollywood pirate instead!

10 comments:

  1. I’m really liking the blue and red names by the way.
    Now that was a great read! What a complete action with sailing, cannons, and boarding! Very entertaining and a rare victory for the French.
    You were though really unlucky to get a green British crew. 😀. Must of been a newly commissioned shop straight out of Harbor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started doing the red/blue ship names after I read one of my posts and realized that I couldn't tell what ship was on which side. Given that I wrote the post AND the scenario, if I didn't understand than I knew that no one else would either! Coloring them by side seemed to be the simplest solution.

      It was a complete action to be sure. I will also say that there was a LOT more flipping through the rule book during this scenario! Funny thing was, Mark immediately shook my hand and said, "Don't worry, you're definitely getting your sword back after this fight!"

      Maybe getting a green crew was a little unlucky. Thing is though, you don't always get the best every time. As the old saying goes, "Ya hafta dance with the one that brung ya." On reflection, maybe I shouldn't have been so eager to tangle with a larger frigate and a more experienced crew (IRL of course, I wouldn't have known about the crew advantage he had). However, see the above saying. Besides, how much fun is a scenario where one side does nothing but run away? OK, OK, maybe in a campaign but not in a one-off game.😁

      Delete
  2. Now that was a great fun read. Excellent looking game and very well written Brian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carlo. This is actually an action I've truned over and over in my mind since it ended. Normally I'm just like, "oh well, another loss." With this one, I keep thinking about things like, "what if I'd shot low instead of high?" or "What if I'd opened the range more after one of his boarding attempts?" I did really enjoy playing a scenario where the British don't have all the advantages though; it was a very different, and interesting, take on things.

      Delete
  3. That was awesome! I actually got excited a couple of times reading this. So much more fun than the usual Brit always has the advantage game. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol! And yes, I have to agree it was much more exciting than the usual "British are +2 on everything" naval game. When I said in the photo caption that the picture was blurry because I was nervous, it wasn't untrue. I snapped that photo and pretty much tossed the phone down so that we could get to the boarding action. Normally I make sure a photo is clear, but at that moment I didn't want to take the time. Or forgot because I was so nervous; take your pick. 😁

      Delete
  4. Great fun write up and the British captain was just following the dictum"if in doubt engage the enemy more closely!"at least he won't be shot for cowardice! Oh just worked through your whole blog,your ships/fleets are great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I keep telling myself that "no captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy." Of course, given that quote, one has to give appropriate credit to the French Captain as well. 🤔

      Thank you also for the compliments on my ships. Of all my miniatures, they are the ones I am most prideful about. IN fact, my wife has often said that if I go first, those are the minis of mine that she keeps. According to her, those are the ones "that are most me," whatever that may mean.😐

      I think that, as the Trafalgar project gets closer to completion (or is completed) the next step is to go back and put some of my older ships up for a refit. Better rigging, improved paint jobs, and stuff like that.

      Delete
    2. My wife says the same thing. She likes my ships and actually bought my first 3 GHQ's back in 2012 and gave them to me for Christmas.

      Delete
    3. Vol,
      I took a couple of days to answer you so that I would have a chance to ask her what she meant by that "most me"comment. She pointed out the love and care I take in assembling them, and then went on to explain something that I had never realized. But first, a little background.

      We met in high school at a speech competition; yep, I was a nerd back then too. For me, it was love at first sight. For her, she just thought I was a nice guy. We went out a few times, but I never told her how I felt, because I was afraid to do so. Didn't want to mess up the possibility of greater things later on I guess, or it could just be because I was cowardly where that sort of thing was concerned back then. Consequently, she went and got married right after high school, but we remained in touch.

      Anyway, as she pointed out, the very first date we ever went on was to the sailing ship Elissa, which was being restored in Galveston at the time. Her website is here: http://www.galvestonhistory.org/attractions/maritime-heritage/1877-tall-ship-elissa-3
      After she got divorced, we tried to get together then but it didn't work out. I went into that relationship immediately after doing a stint as a crew member of the Golden Hind during its US tour in 1988-89. https://www.goldenhinde.co.uk/?open=1

      So, even though I didn't realize it, sailing ships have always been part of our life together, even before there we had a life together.

      Delete