Sunday, November 11, 2018

Best. Day. EVER! (In gaming terms, anyway. . . .) Part I

As readers of the blog might suspect, I don't get to play naval games as often as I would like.  So, when I have a chance to get TWO games in on a single day, that's something that I jump at!  Actually, it's three games but I'll explain that later.

Mark, who is one of my oldest friends, came into town specifically to play some games.  As he wanted to learn Post Captain, I decided to set up a simple frigate action.  My go-to war for this is the War of 1812, usually one of the engagements of the 44 gun frigates as they are the best known.  Now playing one of those scenarios as the British is like having your teeth pulled without anesthetic, so I always give the new player the American ship.  For this one, I chose USS Constitution versus HMS Java.

The starting position looks like this:
Java bearing down on Constitution.
With Mark being new to this set of rules, I expected he would sail along,  or slow down and wait for me to run down towards him.  What I didn't expect was this:
Yep, a tack.  As his very first maneuver in his very first game.
He decided to tack his ship and turn towards me.  It's not really as crazy as it sounds; with an elite crew, Constitution has an 83% chance of success (1-10 on a D12) and I'm still far enough away that if it isn't successful he has time to recover.
1-10 and he rolls a 7.  No problem.

"Well, this Yankee looks like an aggressive customer, eh?"
So we continued to head towards each other.



And then, he slewed to deliver a broadside at me.  I wasn't too worried about it, because I had already started to turn and deliver mine.

It turns out that I should have been worried, because out of a 9 box broadside (5x24 LBR, 4x32LBR carronades) I took 8 hits!  Yes, 8 and he was shooting high.  I didn't think to take a picture of the damage dice, but it was bad.  The mizzen topgallant went over the side due to a critical hit.  That cost me 4 rigging boxes, and I rolled another 4 rigging boxes for damage.  That triggered a rigging check at the end of the turn.  I failed that, and the mizzen topmast went over the side.

That's a lot of wreckage in the water.

The next turn didn't make things any better for the Royal Navy.   Between my maneuvering and the mizzen in the water dragging me around, I had a chance for a return broadside by the white phase of the next turn.


I inflicted a little bit of damage, but nothing like the pain I was feeling.  At least I was striking back, or so I told myself.  Then, it happened.  The combination of my maneuvering (and pivoting around the wreckage) and his maneuvering, ran us into each other and fouled the rigging.

Since these were batteries that had not been fired, both side's gunners went to work right away: 


At 25 yards with an elite crew and first broadside it's almost impossible to miss.  In fact, he didn't and all 9 salvos hit home!  The devastation was most impressive.

For anyone not familiar with Post Captain, this is how those damage rolls would break down:
And this is what my ship would look like with no damage:

At this point, Constitution sailed away so she could repair some damage, and I continued to try and cut away wreckage.  I got the mizzen topgallant away, but the topmast proved to be more stubborn.




All I could do was run straight downwind due to the wreckage, try and keep passing command checks to keep the ship in action, and watch Constitution come stalking back down towards us.  I finally got the mizzen topmast to go away, but then failed another rigging check, and this time the fore topgallant mast went into the water.





While I had a broadside loaded, I could only have fired half of it, due to the wreckage blocking the forward part of the ship.  When the command phase arrived, Java finally decided she had enough, and struck her colors.


It's a very historical outcome, but it still stings a bit.  At the end of the fight, Constitution looked like this:

and poor old Java looked like this:

Mark liked the rules so much he wanted to play a second game right away.  Since this is already a pretty long post, I've decided to break the day into two parts.  Part II will cover the second battle and maybe a little extra too, depending on how long that post turns out to be.

4 comments:

  1. Well after at least 17 hits most ships would be in such a terrible state. Sounds like your friend took to the game well.
    1812 does offer some good teaching scenarios but most of those engagements were so one sided that they need tweaking to balance.
    But nice report and fun to read; ship on ship actions are always great in PC. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did say afterwards that this scenario left him feeling like there weren't a lot of decisions for him to make as the US commander. Then again, that's the joy of those big American frigates; you can make some mistakes and still have a chance of winning.

      I sometimes think Shannon v. Chesapeake would be a good scenario. The US gets a Regular crew (at best) and the British get an Elite one. I'm afraid that it might the scenario unbalanced in the opposite direction, though. Of course, it was pretty unbalanced in real life also. . . .

      PC is great for ship on ship actions, isn't it? Mark said that as well. As he put it, it's a very crunchy rule system but that helps in telling the story of what happened.

      Delete
  2. Why not try an imaginary scenario like Essex and Shannon, both with elite crews? Great AAR Brian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vol,
      Ohhh, I think I like that idea! And thanks for the compliment on the AAR. I really like these rules.

      Delete