Google+ Followers

Thursday, May 4, 2017

It's Island Time!

I've decided that it's time for me to start adding some terrain for my naval games. Instead of making my own islands to start, I purchased one of the Amera plastic ones.  They are made of vacu-formed plastic, and are hollow.  This makes them very light, but also very sturdy.  If you played with the Mattel Vac-u-Form in the early 1970s ( http://www.samstoybox.com/toys/Vac-U-Form.html ), these islands are nothing like those flimsy plastic things.

The island base is originally rectangular, but I didn't take a picture of that.
Also, shooting a white island on a white base with a white backdrop probably
wasn't a good idea.
I'd like to show you a step-by-step process of how I got to the final pictures below.  Truth is, I didn't take those pictures.  After putting some base coats on the island with spray cans (black and then brown), I slapped paint on it until it looked like an island, and I was happy with the results.

I cut away the base in the circular area because I decided I wanted the
island to have a deep water anchorage.  Shame you can't actually get ashore there.

This side doesn't look too friendly either.  Is that a volcano?
This place has nothing to offer, except fresh water (maybe).
How to reach it?

Huzzah, a beach! Now to figure out how to get to that water up there....
I made no modifications to the island itself.  I did use some Vallejo water effects to make the waterfalls and the breakers around the island.  I then covered the island water with Vallejo gloss varnish and the water around the island with a gloss gel medium that gave it some texture.


I could probably build my own islands.  They also probably wouldn't look this good and take a lot longer than the day or less that it took to paint this one.  All in all, I would say that if you need some islands, you should give Amera Plastic Mouldings a try.  Their website is:
http://www.amera.co.uk/ and they have distributors here in the US.

2 comments:

  1. Nice island, I want to vacation there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cell phones or inhabitants; it DOES look like a nice vacation spot, doesn't it?

      Delete