Thursday, August 30, 2018

Another quick explanation

Well, since I haven't made a post in August, I thought I would take just a moment and reassure people that I have not abandoned this blog.

Many of the usual summertime explanations/excuses apply to this month as well. Vacations, travel, and all those sorts of things.  Not all of them are non-gaming related, though.  I've been working on a project that is somewhat related to the blog and has taken up a good bit of time over the last month or so.  When that is finished, I'll talk more about it on here.  There will still be a review of the Gomi Designs PBR, but that sort of got pushed to the back of the line by some of the projects below. 

I've moved back to building my sailing ships, as the photo below shows:


From left to right in the photo are HMS Caesar (80), a British Common class 74, a Russian 46 gun frigate and a Russian 50 gun frigate.  Yes, progress is being made on the Russian unicorns!  Even though the Russian 50 has (most) of her masts in, she still won't be finished first.  That honor will go to Caesar.  I bought her for a specific scenario I'm running at a convention in October, so naturally she goes to the front of the line.  She's also what got the 1/1200 scale shipbuilding started up again.

So, there we have it.  I'm not dead, and neither is the blog.  Expect to see more in the upcoming months.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I had to take a short vacation from them to get them started back up again.

      Delete
  2. Glad the blog isn’t dead. Ships are coming along nicely. What scenario are you thinking about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, definitely not dead. Like I said to Greg, I had to take a little vacation from the sailing ships to get back to them.

      The scenario is the Battle of Cape Ortegal, also known as Strachan's Action. It's the last act of the Trafalgar campaign, as Strachan captures the French van squadron that got away from Nelson. It's a nice little scenario for a convention: 4 ships per side, and a little tinkering with victory conditions makes it possible for the French to win, mainly by doing better than they did historically. I've run it before, but I do have a weakness for building specific ships when they are called for.

      Delete
    2. That’s what I thought it was, but I couldn’t recall the name. I’m Veeerry interested in how you set up this scenario as I’ve had the same thought to use it as a PC scenario for about 4 players.
      (And it’s not a weakness but super attention to detail). 😀

      Delete
    3. Stew,
      The first time I ran the game with the PC rules, I think I did it all wrong. I tried to start the ships really far apart from each other so that the players could get to see all the different types of movement. This time I'm playing on a 4x6 mat, so am going to do it differently.

      What I'm thinking about is having the two forces just outside of 30" away from each other and maybe a little bit less. HMS Namur lagged behind during the chase, so would start either on the edge of the table, or come in on turn 2. By setting the French victory conditions as "cause one British ship to strike or withdraw without losing any of you own," they have more options than "just don't die too quickly." I'm also going to have the players remain in line for this one, unless they can roll under their command ratings, as the rules say. Or they get a message to their commander to do otherwise. I think the enhanced ship sheets you came up with go a long way towards making that easier to do, as well as remembering the right time for morale checks.

      PS: Sorry for not answering you sooner, but I've been down with a summer sinus infection. All I've done for the last few days is take drugs and sleep.

      Delete
    4. No big Brian.

      When I get a chance I’m going to email you so we can discuss this scenario further and I can steal all your good ideas (if you don’t mind). 😀

      Delete