Wednesday, March 21, 2018

A Brief Interlude 4: How to Win a Medal

Some of the people who visit my blog may also visit my friend Stew's blog, entitled: A Terrible Loss of Lead and Wealth. If you haven't, I suggest you drop by.  The address is: https://tllw.blogspot.com/   He has some really nice looking ships, and is a generally all around good  guy.  How do I know he's a good guy?  Well, his March 7 blog entry entitled "Shipping disaster" bears it out.

If you haven't read it (and I suggest you do) it tells the story of how his 4-year-old daughter stepped up on his box of sailing ships and sent it flying.  Furthermore, there are pictures of the carnage, so consider this a trigger warning before you go.  The part of that post that I thought was particularly wonderful was when he says:

In a calm voice,  "What did I just say..."
My wife says I'm father of the year for not loosing it.   

When I showed it to my wife and said that I don't think I would have been that calm, she laughed at me.  Then she said that our grandchildren (and probably everyone else) would have run away from me in tears.  I suspect know she's right.

A level of calm as high as Stew's deserves some recognition.  So, I bought him one of these:


Stew earned his and it was an excuse for me to buy myself one, so I'm not completely altruistic here. There's also a homemade (but very nice, IMO) certificate:

No pension though.

6 comments:

  1. Wait, the certificate was homemade? Don’t tell me you did the calligraphy!

    Thank you for the fun and thoughtful gift ! It really made me and my wife smile. I’ll have to put it somewhere nice. I’ll post a proper thank on my blog later. I’m really enjoying our on line friendship and community. Thanks again.

    I feel like a promising lieutenant being mentioned in dispatches back to The Admiralty. 😀

    You are too kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if by "you did the calligraphy" you mean picked out the right fonts on the computer, then sure. Otherwise, nah.

      I've been enjoying it too, and I would like to see more Age of Sail gamers get together online.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful gesture. You are a gentleman of the highest order Brian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlo,
      I've said in various places online that I think Age of Sail gamers are different than other wargamers, for a number of reasons. First, I think we realize that we are a niche of a niche of a niche hobby (wargaming> naval wargaming> AoS naval wargaming). Second, I think that people who are really into AoS gaming embrace the whole gentlemanly ethos of the period. Since we're such a small group it behooves us to try and support each other where we can. I can't buy Stew new ships and I won't give him mine, but I can come up with some way of showing my support, even if somewhat humorously. So, I did. If that makes me a gentleman, then I'll plead guilty.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The certificate was my wife's idea. She has (almost) all the good ones in the family anyway.

      Delete