Thursday, February 22, 2018

A Quick Update, and an Upcoming Anniversary

I'm sorry that I haven't posted anything this month.  As we all know, Real Life™ has a way of occasionally interfering with hobbies, and that has sort of been the case this month.  Between the usual inconveniences of life like failing appliances, and the attempt to improve my health by being more active, I'm just not spending as much time blogging or painting as I have been.  Now, this doesn't mean I'm not doing anything, as the picture below should demonstrate.


Yes, the masts are finally in my North Carolina, and it's only taken from September of 2014 to get here, so 3 years and 5 months.  Given that the original was started in 1818, launched in 1820 and commissioned in 1824, I think I'm comfortably ahead of schedule!

My first post on this blog was March 8, 2017 so the one year anniversary is coming up soon.  There will be an anniversary post, looking at the usual stuff: How many posts, how many visitors, and etc.  For the five people who follow this blog, thank you and there will be more frequent postings in the future (I promise!).

4 comments:

  1. That ship came out really nice as usual! I’m going to try and match your deck color on my next ship to get that holystoned look. 😀

    As an aside: I’m copying your design for ship storage but can’t find the right kind of metal. It’s rith not magnetic or too strong to cut. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, although I am now looking forward to getting some rigging on her. I'm hoping that this will get the momentum going on the two Russian unicorns.

      I use mostly craft paints on my ships. That deck color is a Ceramcoat color called Old Parchment. According to their website it looks like it is still available. I've also used other colors like Desert Sand by Americana, but it is a little darker.

      I have a partial answer for you on the steel. I left the UPC tag on the bottom of it when I put the box together. The bad news is that it's not completely legible. Here's what I could pull off of it though:
      Helman (brand?)
      22 ga
      12x18
      M#11774

      I would recommend trying to find galvanized steel, as this is already starting to rust under some of my forts.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I went to Home Depot and found the metal sheets, I was smart enough to have a magnet, and ended up getting a 12 x 12 welding metal. I thought I’d be able to cut it to size but it just ate my saw blade (it was a saw for metal). Oh well. Back to the store. It’s my own unicorn now! Thanks again for info. You’re the best.

      Delete
    3. Aw, thanks [blushing; kicks toe in dust. Notices that floor needs to be swept.]

      Seriously though, I do think and have said elsewhere, that AOS gamers are a bit different than others. Since we're trying to be gentlemanly and such, why not help each other out where we can? It costs nothing and makes everybody happier. That's a win/win that we don't get much of in the modern world.

      PS: I'll post a longer comment over on your blog, but consider your PC tournament changes for crew stolen.

      Delete