Thursday, December 28, 2017

What Is My Time Worth Part 7: Final Analysis and Thoughts

So, it's taken a while to go from this:

The actual hull number is NB16. I didn't think to take a picture of the original packages.


to this:

Now, with the project finished, it's time to take a look at the numbers.  How long did it take?  What would it cost me to buy one pre-assembled?  And, finally, what is my time worth?

So, How Long Did It Take?

In looking at the build time for this project, we can break it down into four parts: Hull, Masts, Standing Rigging and Running Rigging.  So, let's look at the parts of the project in that order.  

The Hull:

To get the hull put together, cleaned up and make sure the masts would fit into the holes in the hull took 50 minutes.  I decided that the guns were a little too high above the water on this model, so I decided to grind the waterline down to the proper height.  To measure that and get it ground down took about 12 minutes.  This isn't normally a step I would take, but in this case I decided to do so as I thought it was too far out of line.  These times were minor compared to painting the hull of course, which took just a touch over 3 hours, or 185 minutes.  The total time in getting the hull ready was a total of 247 minutes, or 4.12 hours

The Masts (Including the bowsprit):

It only took 22 minutes to clean and assemble the masts.  Once again, painting was the main amount of time here, which took 152 minutes or 2.53 hours.  Because I made sure the masts would fit into the hull before assembly started, it took only 6 minutes to install all the masts including the bowsprit.  When all the times for the masts were totaled up, it took exactly 180 minutes, or 3 hours.

Standing Rigging:

Including drilling all the holes for the rigging, it took 106 minutes to install the stays between the masts.  It took 48 minutes to paint and install the photo-etch ratlines. To do the backstays for all three masts took 88 minutes, and it took 29 minutes just to put the rigging around the outside of the bowsprit.  When added together, the entire set of standing rigging took 261 minutes, or 4.35 hours.

Running Rigging:

Surprisingly enough, this turned out to be the quickest part of the whole project, which I did not expect.  To do all the running rigging took 106 minutes, or 1.76 hours.

Totals and Grand Total:


  1. Hull:                                    247 minutes/4.12 hours
  2. Masts:                                 180 minutes/3.00 hours
  3. Standing Rigging:              261 minutes/4.35 hours
  4. Running Rigging:              106 minutes/1.76 hours
          GRAND TOTAL:            794 minutes/13.23 hours

What Would It Cost To Buy One Prebuilt?

For purposes of this comparison, I'm using the prices found at the Model J Ship website (http://modeljship.com/en/).  The basic cost from the website of a ship like I just built would be 60 Euros.  Julian (the website owner) charges 15.00 Euros for a base, but he hand-sculpts his and I don't do that any more so I don't think the comparison there is fair.  He also offers an accessories kit for 25 Euros that includes anchors, towed boats and flags, but I didn't build my ship with any of these.  Consequently, the best comparison from the website is the basic model.  Using the XE.com exchange rate website, 60 Euros equals $71.39 US.  So, $71.39 is the amount I will use to determine the answer for the next section.

What Is My Time Worth?

So, now we've come to the big reveal and it's just a question of simple math.  Take the cost of $71.39 and divide it by 13.23 hours.  That gives us a total of:

$5.39 per hour

Hmmmmm.  Well, it's a little more than what I expected, since I originally expected it to be about $3 something an hour.  When I started this series in August of 2017, the same frigate from Model J Ship would have cost 73 Euros, or $85.96 US although that includes a base.  If I had included a base in the price above, it would have still been 73 Euros, but $86.86 US due to the different exchange rates over time.

What Does It All Mean?

My first thought here is that it means no one is getting rich in the model shipyard business!  For other meanings, I have to go back to some of the comments on the very first post in this series.  One comment said that he suspected the final analysis would show that while commercial prices seemed high, they might turn out to be a pretty good deal on a per-hour basis.  I would have to agree with this.  Also, I said in response to another comment that the last entry in this series would probably have a disclaimer about how we build these for love, not money.  That seems true too, so let me repeat it in a larger font:

WE BUILD THESE FOR LOVE, NOT MONEY!

For a closing thought (OK, thoughts), I think that Age of Sail gamers are different from other wargamers.  First of all, we realize that we are a niche within a niche within a niche [war-gaming > Naval war-gaming > Age of Sail naval war-gaming].  Secondly, we all seem to have read Horatio Hornblower or Jack Aubrey novels at some point in our lives, and identify with them somehow.  Something about the gentility of the period appeals to us; you don't seem to find the "win at all costs" mentality among serious Age of Sail gamers.  

I game in other periods, of course.  Rare is the wargamer that doesn't dabble in several periods of history.  I can tell you though, that my WWII Soviet infantry doesn't evoke the same feelings for me that my sailing ships do.  If I lost all my other miniatures but kept my sailing ships, I would keep playing.  If I lost my sailing ships, I would probably be out of the hobby altogether, as it would be too hard to start over.

In a way, my miniature sailing ships are a lot like real ships: They're labor-intensive, they cost a lot of time and money, and you can never get back what you put into them.  Another way they are just like real ships is this:  Once they get into your soul, you can't just walk away from them.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Vol,
      It's nothing I can prove about AOS gamers; instead, it's just observations based on years of playing with ships. I really think that most of us can just picture ourselves on those miniature quarterdecks, calmly giving orders while things go crazy around us.

      I also think that most of us know that while the combat isn't genteel, the code of conduct is. Even at conventions, I've almost never had problems with players acting ungentlemanly. In fact, I can only think of one over all the years I've run convention games. There seems to be something about the genre, and maybe the miniatures, that seems to put even casual players on their best behavior.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Brian for this fascinating insight into the time taken to put a Napoleonic ship together painted and fully rigged.

    There is no doubt that even "expensive" painted stuff is not that expensive when you look at it from an hourly rate perspective.

    It's a long long time since I used to paint for money but I recall even back then in the early 90s, earning a living from painting is not easy.

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken,
      As you said earlier in this project, the expensive stuff really isn't when you start looking more closely at what's involved.

      My wife tried to get me to paint for money several years ago. I kept explaining to her that the return wasn't worth the effort and frustration that the work would entail. Now, since you've actually done it, I bet you've got some good stories.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done. Would be interesting to compare this time to the time it takes to complete a unit in a different genre.

    Ships definitely get into your blood, I can attest to that being newly bitten by the naval bug. Makes me want to time my next ship and compare. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I hadn't considered comparing time across genres. Now that we have a time for one ship, it would be interesting to compare how many 15mm figures (for instance) you could paint in that same time. Robert Avery, who runs the TFL painting challenge over at vislardica.com ruled that one ship was the same as painting 12 15mm foot figures. I think it should be more than that, but I don't make the rules for that contest.

      I was originally going to compare the naval bug to malaria, in that attacks can re-occur even after years with no symptoms. However, it just didn't sound as nice as what I finally came up with! As for comparing times, remember it's not a race. If you decide to though, please keep me in the loop as I would find it interesting to compare with someone who is still fairly new at shipbuilding.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for a fascinating series of posts. I haven't been an AoS wargamer since Wooden Ships and Iron Men but I appreciate the appeal of the period. It would be interesting too to see how your end product compares with the commercial offerings.I suspect you may be working to a higher standard.

    As you say though, it's all about the love we have for our little lead men and ships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat,
    Right now I've only been able to find one place consistently offering an assembly service for 1/1200 sailing ships and that is Model J Ships, out of Spain. In terms of quality, I think it's a wash. Julian's brush skills are WAY better than mine (I've never been able to get washes right), but I run a bit more thread in parts of the standing rigging than he does. Having said that, I would put one of his ships on the table next to mine in a heartbeat, even if it did make my ships look a little shabby.

    Oh, and I too had WS&IM. In fact, it may still be at my parent's house. It is definitely a gateway drug!

    ReplyDelete