While in Charlottesville VA, I went into a hobby shop named Rail Tales (railtalesva.com). If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend dropping by, as they do more than just model railroading. In fact, one of the owners (I think it's Nathan) used to be a naval wargamer! While telling him about my problems with bases, he suggested that I go with Evergreen sheet styrene for the base instead. .060 styrene is 1.5mm thick, so there will be no difference in height with my older bases. Since I didn't want to bake styrene in the oven, he suggested the Vallejo water effects paste instead. I tried some experiments with these this week, and I think I like the results.
|This is the stuff I'm talking about.|
The styrene sheets I bought are black, so I started by cutting out an appropriate size base, and then painting it in the blue I normally use. Then, I put down a layer of the water effects, and let it dry.
|So far, not very impressive (and not quite dry yet).|
|Looking a little better.|
After the hull is glued in place, I build up the water paste around it and let that dry. I then paint the wake with light blue and white, then hit the entire base with Vallejo gloss varnish. The pictures below show how the new bases look with my Russian 50 gun heavy frigate.
|Now that's more like it!|